We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
|“||Maybe it is the will to survive that makes me even more alert to sounds. Sight is limited in this darkened part of the world. In this case their Heartbeats. Not my own, but instead the Killers’ as they close in on me. I just hope that they do not pick up on mine as my heart races for every thump I can hear even clearer.||„|
|~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896|
The Heartbeat is a noise effect that a player will hear when playing as a Survivor, and when approached by a Killer. It is also known as the Killer's Terror Radius, which is usually 32m around the Killer.
The Heartbeat is also mentioned by Benedict Baker in his journal entries.
The rate of the Heartbeat is dependent on the Killer's proximity to the Survivors - with a faster tempo denoting the idea that the Killer is extremely close to the player. If a Killer then engages in a chase with a Survivor, the Heartbeat will be replaced by a thrilling music from the Soundtrack.
If the Killer has the Perk Distressing , the Killer's Terror Radius increases, depending on the level of the perk.
There are several ways for a Killer to prevent the Heartbeat, in which case the Survivor will not be informed of the Killer's proximity.
- If the Killer is the Wraith , the Survivor will only hear the Heartbeat when he is uncloaked. Whilst cloaked, the Wraith will be mostly transparent and will not trigger a Survivor Heartbeat.
- Using the "The Ghost" - Soot Add-on, the Wraith will have zero Terror Radius after uncloaking when he stands still, similar to Insidious.
- A Killer with the Insidious Perk will be able to reduce the Heartbeat to 0m after standing still for a certain amount of time (4/3/2 seconds), dependent on the level of the Perk.
- The Shape using Monitor & Abuse while remaining on Evil Within I, will have virtually no Heartbeat when not in a chase.
- The Hag using the Granma's Heart will have her terror radius reduced to 0m after a survivor trips one of her traps.
|Killer||Terror Radius||Affected by Unlockables|
|Wraith (Cloaked)||0 metres||No|
|Wraith (Uncloaked)||32 metres||Yes|
|Shape (Evil Within I)||8 metres||Yes|
|Shape (Evil Within II)||16 metres||Yes|
|Shape (Evil Within III)||32 metres||Yes|
|Huntress (Lullaby, Humming)||20-45 metres||No|
|Nightmare (Dream World)||24 metres||Yes|
|Nightmare (Lullaby, Overworld)||24 metres||No|
- The Killer will not receive a Heartbeat cue when close to a Survivor.
- The Huntress' humming ranging from 20 to 45m is not considered part of the Terror Radius and cannot be altered with any Perks.
- The Hag and The Huntress are the only killers not to have a standard 32 meter terror radius at any given time.
- Music is the amplification or advanced warning of Heartbeat and most likely the range of music is a quarter less than Terror Radius.